Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dance 103a: Duet with Akili Jamal Haynes

Upon returning from La Bergerie, I felt the need to return to some basic practices of improvisation. During the session this excerpt was taken from, my focus was developing and exploring one thing thoroughly at a time...trying to figure out the specifics of a particular movement or impulse...working with slow development, movement quality and invention, challenging my usual patterns: in terms of physicality, timing, quality of movement, duration spent on a movement, dynamics, etc etc. My intent was to be very mindful of the details of what I was doing and to challenge and question my usual responses and impulses. It felt like good, deep work...and the results were satisfying. I had particular images at certain points in this improv of being a comic book character or better yet......a graphic novel...because it wasn't meant to be silly but very slightly caricature-ish.

( a larger screen version is available at blip tv under dailydanceproject)




No comments:

Post a Comment