Wednesday, June 10, 2009

45 a-d

This series was done outdoors at my parents house. Voices of various family members can be heard as well as an appearance by my niece. I left all of this "in" because it is part of what actually occurred. Everything affecting and shaping everything.
When I was videotaping, it was not necessarily my intention to do 4 dances or to post all of them. However, when I was done, I appreciated the progression and felt it was indeed one piece with 4 parts. Each makes "sense" independently but I like the flow if you have the interest to watch all of them. Originally, I felt very critical of the first one but after watching and tuning in to the movement of the leaves and bushes, my appreciation grew for the whole scene. I was actually quite satisfied to have my family members interrupt the second one...oblivious to what I was doing. This is a feeling I know well and probably a theme in any work family-related. Yes, this is personal information, but art is a personal thing, eh?









I did this fourth one because I felt my body was still resisting the ground even after being out dancing and rollling around for a while. I still don't know if I reached the state of release and connection with the ground that I desire(d) but I felt compelled to keep trying. For some reason, I chose increasing the air as a way to increase the depth of my contact with the ground....I guess releasing into the air and asking gravity to take me down where I wanted to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment