Saturday, April 18, 2015

Simplicity and Clarity


Christophe Delerce and Liz Roncka


There are two things that I particularly appreciate about this excerpt:

1)  The clarity of our timing.  This has been the focus of my improvisation class lately and it certainly came through here.  I often think that as movers, we are inclined to prioritize Space over Time.  In my own practice and in my teaching, I emphasize the importance of sculpting time as well. This is not the exclusive job of the music or the musician, but the mover must also accept this responsibility.

2)  Simplicity.  We make very simple and clear choices both in Time and in Space.  I feel there is often a strong drive to do more/move more/play more and to be complex in what we do.  Whenever I stop and watch from the outside, I am reminded of the power of Simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment