Sunday, May 3, 2015

Cats, Words and Essence



I woke up knowing that I wanted to write about "essence".  I drank coffee and wandered around my apartment mulling the topic over in my head, trying to figure out the words I wanted to use.  I often find words frustrating since they are only a representation of what I am trying to express.  I am aware that something is lost when I translate a feeling or sensibility into words.


Then I wondered why I switched from posting primarily movement videos in this blog to including more writing.  When I began this blog, I was not teaching improvisation.  Teaching has required me to develop ways to transmit my "knowledge" from inside my mind and body to other people.  Thus words have become very important.  Several years ago, I was interested in knowing how to improvise, in understanding my practice, my method.  Now it is about sharing that knowledge and facilitating others in developing his or her own practice/method.


In order to have clear and powerful relationships, in art or otherwise, we must understand and respect the essence of that which is involved:  the essence of the movement, the essence of the individuals, the essence of the relationships that are present between all that is happening.  The relationships between time and space, between different instruments, different bodies, between the bodies and the environment, between audience and performer, on and on and on.  It could seem overwhelming, but when we use all of our senses and sensibilities, when we open ourselves completely, we can do this.  We are built to do this:  to sense, process, prioritize, respond.  It's a matter of opening, allowing, trusting.  We must notice the details, but not get caught up in them.  We must let our senses be sensors and let our brain integrate and our body execute.  Open, allow, trust.

Of course, there is much to be said about composition, but I believe that the magic comes from the opening and trusting.  This is where the challenge is. Composition is the easy part.

Then two of my cats had a fight and illustrated a great deal about what is essential in the moment.  Meow.

No comments:

Post a Comment