Friday, May 22, 2015

Videography as an Artistic Medium

I'm realizing how much I like video as an artistic medium. I feel it tells the viewer so much about the subject in front of the camera, but also about the person behind the camera. We could perhaps say this about any creative form, but I think everything transmits so quickly through video because it is visual... and we are such visual creatures. Yes, a picture is worth 1,000 words and video is like a picture every second. Also because video is dynamic, we see when and how the attention of the person behind the camera shifts.
This post was inspired by a short video my 74 year old mother took of her garden. As I watched it, I saw the garden but I felt a very clear sense of her presence. I was surprised by how much it translated through the way the filming was handled.
I suppose I also particularly enjoy the way I can feel an artist come through their creation even if the subject matter is quite different than he/she. Technique is important, but only as it serves to allow the artist to articulate his/her individuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment