Saturday, August 22, 2015

Fuck the Patriarch

Fuck the Patriarch

The hand that fed you and
The hand that did not hold yours
Once you stopped being three feet tall

The awkward hand that knew nothing of
Gentleness or care

The broken-hearted hand that held a beer
And gave you a sip
A nasty bitter taste
That still sours your mouth

It's all about my da da
Daddy doo doo
Who fucked you over
And me too

Sloppy, scary cigarettes and secrets
Muttered curses and twisted faces
I steeled myself and did my daughterly duties
Took it and took it and took it
Til the day I broke and so did everything else

Christmas Day

In another nasty and senseless rage
Spitting and snarling in my face
I dared you to hit me
Right there in the middle of the living room
With the whole family to watch your anger win

The room went into a swirl
Bodies moving forward and back
Brothers stepping in
Sisters shuffling the little ones away
Smoothing and shuffling and smoothing.

Fall in line.
Shut your mouth and sit down at the table.
Shut your mouth and eat your dinner.
Shut your mouth and shut your mouth and shut your fucking mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment