Thursday, May 7, 2009

Dance #10 4/28/09

I am still very excited about this project. I love the good days and the bad, the successful pieces and the ones that have details that bother me aesthetically and/or compositionally. I am also deeply appreciative of you who have been viewing the blogs. Posting these pieces brings up many questions for me (and hopefully for you). One main concern is how to balance staying true to the practice, to uphold the focus of this being about the process. This is no way means "anything goes" but it means that I do not have to subject myself to a high level of perfectionism before deeming the piece worthy before sharing it. Because.....what is perfect? What is worthy? Is product more valuable than process? Is process not product? Is life a product or a process? Perhaps that is taking it too far, but it all these questions feel very relevant.

To me, everything is process. In process, there is movement and change. Everything is movement and change. There is no such thing as stillness. Enough. I hope you get my drift.

This work is about questions: generating questions, answering questions, questioning the answers to the questions. I hope this is true for me and for you, the participant. I do not wish to use the word "viewer" because I think viewers are all participating with their eyes and ears and brains.

SOOOooo....this whole blab-a-thon entry started when I was reading one of the comments I received (which I love receiving because it makes this all even more interactive). And before I begin, let me thank the person who wrote it because it inspired me to clarify my thoughts and motivations and generated more QUESTIONS!!! The sentences that intrigued me were, "I struggled to get more out of it,as an outsider. I feel as if this dance is for yourself." This comment was made about Piece #8. I think that all these dances are for me and all these dances are made for anyone who sees them. I give and take all of me in making them. But what it makes me wonder is....what makes someone watching feel an "outsider", how/when does a piece alienate a "viewer" ? Or is it about someone's ability to connect to the piece and is that my responsibility as the creator or the viewer's or both? If I think about this question specifically in terms of this piece, I wonder how certain aesthetics reel people in or shut them out? Does the lack of a human face create a feeling of being shut out? And what if that is the intention of the piece? Or is the performer hiding her face even though her feelings are exposed? Or is the small, measured movement more difficult to connect to on a physical level, but is the creator trying to share the experience of being in her body in this physical/emotional state? Anyway, these comments are rich. As an "artist" my ultimate goals are to communicate and be authentic and to try not to compromise either in the name of the other. I hope at least a fraction of this makes sense to anyone reading. If not, just watch the "dancing" and forget about it.







1 comment:

  1. This piece resonates, "Energy" and "Accomlishment". Talk about moving...
    and rhythm. I wanted to get up and dance. The ongoing quick, terse movement and tempo as well as some of your arm movements, reminded me of a clock. Your arms the hands on a human clock. The best yet!

    ReplyDelete