Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dance#9 4/27/09

This is my second exploration of improvising both text and movement simultaneously. I am intrigued by this process, not only by what words and topics come up, but by how significantly it shifts my movement quality, timing/phrasing and emotional state. I feel I access another aspect of my personality that was formerly much less present in my improvisational work. It seems to have potency because of its authenticity whereas previously, I might have "resorted" to theatricality to "up the anti". To quote yet another cliche: less is more. Maybe.




1 comment:

  1. I'm really interested in how language spoken by the dancer while dancing shifts the perception of the audience. It does some really strong things to me as a viewer. I'm starting to get a hold on exactly what they are. When I listen to music, I don't process the meaning of lyrics. But the presence of the voice is a major factor in engagement with the work. In general, speaking seems to do the same thing for movement - I find myself significantly more engaged with the dancer's movements when the voice is present. It is like a shifting light on the dancer's body. Your authenticity shines through in this one. So honest. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete